Saturday, September 6, 2008

My Favourite Moment of TIFF08

I should just pack up and go home because nothing will top the TIFF moment I had at about 6:45pm on Day 2 of the 2008 festival.

But before I get to that, I want to talk about theatres. All of my movie memories are inextricably linked to the cinemas I saw them in. Name any movie going back to 1970, and if I saw it in a cinema I'll be able to name which one. This actually becomes more difficult with recent films because the cinemas are not as singular and distinct as they once were.

With screenings at incredible venues like The Elgin, TIFF allows us all to travel back in time to the era of the grand cinema. For ten days in September movies are given the respect they deserve, and are treated to an evening out in a grand setting with a large audience.

I have been to The Elgin many times, but Day 2 of TIFF08 was my first time inside the Winter Garden Theatre. The Winter Garden is actually stacked on top of The Elgin, an amazing construction dating back to 1913. They are the only Edwardian stacked theatres remaining in the world and they are a sight to behold. Here's a link if you want to know more.

I was in the Winter Garden yesterday to see the world premiere of C'est Pas Moi, Je Le Jure, by Philippe Falardeau. I sat in the balcony which is always my first choice for a classic theatre because, hey, it's got a balcony! It also allows you to get up close to the ceiling, which in this case is a hanging garden. I've never seen anything like it.

Self portrait, balcony, Winter Garden Theatre.

Inside the Winter Garden

My favourite moment of TIFF08 is coming up. C'est Pas Moi, Je Le Jure is absolutely wonderful. There's an amazing score by Patrick Watson, fantastic cinematography by Andre Turpin and amazing performances by the entire cast. There is also a very special lead performance by Antoine L'Écuyer as ten year-old Leon. Like the Winter Garden Theatre, I've never seen anything like it.

Here's the moment: after the film
Antoine wandered out on stage and was treated to a well-deserved standing ovation. No matter where the rest of his life may take him, I'm sure this will remain as a very special moment for young Antoine, and it was a thrill to be a part of it.

And that, is my favourite moment of TIFF08.


The sun sets on day two of TIFF08

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hii...the way your describing about winter garden theatre is realy superb...is this really the world's one of the best.....the sunset phote was classically gud....and what is Tiff-08 ???

bstockton said...

Thanks!

I guess I should have said that I'm corss-posting these blogs here

http://tiff08.ca/blogs/blog/default.aspx?blg=5

For the Toronto International Film Festival.